Connect with us


I told my father about Anderson sexual assault in 1969



i told my father about anderson sexual assault in 1969

In 1969, a young Matt Schembechler sat at his family home in Ann Arbor, waiting for his father to come in. The year of his iconic career coaching the University of Michigan football team had sent him off for a routine checkup.

He thought that would end the doctor’s career at UM.

It didn’t.

Dr. Robert Anderson worked as a doctor at UM until 2002, including as a senior doctor for Schembechler’s teams.

Hundreds of UM athletes have accused Anderson of sexually abusing her, including petting her genitals and doing rectal exams, even if they showed up with sore elbows or a sore throat. Other UM students have accused Anderson of issuing suspensions of military service from the Vietnam War in exchange for sexual acts. Hundreds of men have sued the university for failing to stop Anderson. The cases are currently in mediation at the Federal Supreme Court.

[ Former Michigan star ‘angered’ by Jim Harbaugh’s defense of Bo Schembechler ]

On Thursday afternoon, Matt Schembechler will hold a press conference with Daniel Kwiatkowski, a Michigan offensive lineman from 1977-79, and Gilvanni Johnson, a wide receiver from 1982-86 who also played for the Detroit Lions in 1987, to review their allegations. Kwiatkowski was abused four times by Anderson and Johnson attacked 15 times, according to a press release.

“The thing with Dr. Anderson (and) Bo has been with me for years,” Matt Schembechler told the Free Press in a telephone conversation on Wednesday evening. “It was hurtful, I felt betrayed. The coverage of what happened to Dr. Nassar at MSU really woke me up.”

Former UM soccer coach Bo Schembechler speaks during a press conference Monday Nov. 13, 2006 at the Young Family Champions Center on the UM campus prior to the big game between Michigan and Ohio State.

More:Report: UM could have stopped Anderson’s sexual assault on athletes

He said that some players he knew had also been talking about Anderson’s abuse lately, and that helped him when he thought about reaching out to “help stop anyone having to go through this again “.

The press release said Kwiatkowski was attacked for the first time during his first team training in 1977, and when he reported the behavior to his coach, Bo Schembechler said Kwiatkowski should “toughen up”.

According to the press release, Johnson told his trainer he was attacked by Anderson during his first physical exam in 1982, but no changes were made after Schembechler said he would discuss medical staff.

In May, an investigation by the WilmerHale law firm concluded that Anderson’s wrongdoing was reported “multiple times between 1978 and 1981,” but that “a senior university administrator … failed to take appropriate action.”

In 1968, Anderson was just starting his career at UM. Bo Schembechler married Matt’s mother, Millie, and then left Miami University of Ohio in 1969, where he was head coach, to come to Ann Arbor.

When Matt arrived in Ann Arbor, he wanted to play in youth sports. Schembechler sent him to Anderson for a required physical exam.

Anderson stroked Matt’s genitals and digitally penetrated him, Matt said.

He immediately told his mother Millie about it.

“As a little kid, I knew it was really wrong,” he said. “I knew if I told her she would tell me if it was wrong.”

Millie, a nurse, was upset and told Matt to tell Bo about it when he got home from coaching.

Matt did.

Bo exploded in anger, Matt recalls. “I don’t want to hear that,” said Matt Bo, adding that Bo also said, “don’t ever talk to me about it again.”

Nothing happened to Anderson, so a little later Millie walked up the street to meet her neighbor – then UM sports director Don Canham, who would also become a legend in the history of the sports department.

“I thought he was the bee’s knees so I was comfortable talking to him,” said Matt.

Canham came to Schembechler’s house while Bo was training. Matt told him the same story. Don fell silent and said he would take care of it.

Young Matt thought that meant Anderson was going to be fired.

He later heard Bo and Millie arguing and heard Bo say something that he needed Anderson on his staff.

Anderson continued to be heavily involved in all sorts of aspects of the athletics department, including the soccer team. Anderson’s name appears regularly in letters, memos, postcards, minutes of meetings, and other official documents documenting Canham and Schembechler’s time in Michigan. It is found in letters documenting ideas discussed on the soccer team’s air travel; on roster for stays in hotels for bowl games and even in less than flattering reviews of his PhD thesis, a free press review of boxes of documents held in UM’s Bentley Historical Library.

Canham died in 2005. Bo Schembechler died a year later. Anderson died in 2008.


UM admits sexual assault and is willing to pay but says lawsuits must be dismissed

For the next several years, Matt got his physical information from someone else. But in 1975 Matt, now a high school student, needed an investigation.

After the neighbor doctor left, Bo sent Matt back to Anderson. Anderson sexually abused Matt again.

In those early years in Ann Arbor, the entire soccer team, including the Schembechlers and Andersons, was very much connected.

“We were all very close,” said Matt. “It was our social network. It was really nice, a really wonderful situation besides Dr. Anderson.”

Last week, current Michigan manager Jim Harbaugh defended his former manager’s reputation when asked about Anderson’s situation at a football camp in Ferris State.

“I can tell you that,” said Harbaugh. “Bo Schembechler … there was nothing that I saw here in my childhood, my father was on the staff or when I played here … he never sat on anything. He never postponed anything. He cared about it taken care of before the sun goes down. This is the Bo Schembechler I know. There is nothing that has ever been swept under the rug or ignored. He addressed everything in time. This is the Bo Schembechler I knew. ”

In January 1999, Matt Schembechler sued his father, UM, campus police and school officials after alleging they sabotaged his efforts to make souvenirs from discarded stadium stands. The lawsuit was dismissed in federal court a few months later.

Contact David Jesse: 313-222-8851 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter: @reporterdavidj. Subscribe to the Detroit Free Press.

Source * – * Source link


Montreal Canadiens coach Dominique Ducharme symptom-free, hopes to return in days



montreal canadiens coach dominique ducharme symptom free, hopes to return in

MONTREAL – Canadien’s interim coach Dominique Ducharme said on Sunday that he had remained symptom-free two days after testing positive for COVID-19 and that he hopes to be back behind the bench during the Stanley Cup semi-final series in Montreal against Vegas.

Ducharme wore a dark blue collared Canadiens shirt, white hair and a familiar short stubble on his chin and spoke to reporters from an unknown location during a 12-minute video conference, his first comments since his mandatory isolation.

“I wish I could be on the rink now. I don’t feel any different than I did a week ago,” said Ducharme as the Canadiens prepared to host Vegas in Game 4 on Sunday night.

Montreal has a 2-1 lead in the series, Game 5 in Vegas is scheduled for Tuesday. If necessary, Game 6 will be played in Montreal on Thursday and Game 7 in Vegas on Saturday.

1 relatives

Ducharme was asked if he would have to spend 14 days in isolation.

“I’m confident I’ll be back before that,” he said.

Ducharme said he was fully vaccinated against the coronavirus and would end the two-week waiting period after his second vaccination on Wednesday.

It is unclear whether 48-year-old Ducharme will be able to return at this point.

“Until then, nothing has been confirmed. The organization is in contact with the authorities. It is a unique situation. We have been isolated since December,” said Ducharme in French.

Ducharme said no one he had contact with, including his girlfriend, tested positive. He said he was following NHL COVID-19 protocols when the Canadiens traveled to Vegas last week to open the series.

The Canadiens were restricted to certain areas of their Vegas hotel and had to take the bus to and from the ice rink.

Montreal, a member of the NHL’s Canadian North Division, is the only Canadian team to cross the line this season after teams were restricted to play within the division in the second round of the playoffs.

“It’s frustrating because I did everything you asked us to. I never exposed myself. I was so unlucky,” said Ducharme, who is in daily contact with his team and employees by phone and video call.

This is the second straight postseason that Montreal assistant Luke Richardson has had to step in in an emergency. Last summer, Richardson and former assistant coach Kirk Muller shared coaching duties after Claude Julien was hospitalized with chest pain after the first game of the Montreal-Philadelphia first-round series.

Julien missed the rest of the playoffs and resumed coaching that season before being sacked and replaced by Ducharme on February 24th.

It was difficult for Ducharme to watch out of isolation as the Canadiens recovered in Game 3 on Friday with a 3-2 win in extra time after two one-goal deficits.

“You feel helpless to watch and hope for the best. It’s a strange situation,” said Ducharme. “A special situation, but it was a special year. We’ve been through a lot. And we’ll get through that.”

The Canadiens had the worst record of the NHL’s 16 playoff qualifiers before upsetting Toronto and Winnipeg in the first two rounds.

The Golden Knights have already seen this scenario this postseason. Colorado Avalanche coach Jared Bednar missed a morning skate due to a COVID-19 test irregularity and was released in time to coach in Game 6 of the second round series against Vegas.

Source * – * Source link

Continue Reading


Brooklyn Nets Guardian Spencer Dinwiddie wants to turn down the $ 12.3 million player option



brooklyn nets guardian spencer dinwiddie wants to turn down the

Brooklyn Nets Guardian Spencer Dinwiddie plans to turn down the $ 12.3 million player option on his 2021-22 contract and become an unrestricted free agent before the deadline on Monday, sources told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Dinwiddie missed most of the season with a cruciate ligament injury in his right knee and appeared in just three games. He tried to possibly get back to the NBA final, but the Nets were eliminated by the Milwaukee Bucks in the Eastern Conference semifinals on Saturday.

Dinwiddie, 28, has had a history of ACL injuries. During his junior year in Colorado, Dinwiddie tore his left ACL in one game and missed the rest of the season.

1 relatives

Dinwiddie was a key player for Brooklyn last season, starting in 49 games when Kyrie Irving and Caris LeVert were out injured. He averaged 20.6 points and 6.8 assists in the 2019-20 season but was diagnosed with COVID-19 in late June and did not travel to Orlando with the Nets to restart the season.

The 6-foot-5 Dinwiddie has averaged 12.9 points and 5.0 assists over portions of seven seasons with the Nets and Detroit Pistons.

Source * – * Source link

Continue Reading


The Uganda Olympic trainer tests positive for Covid after arriving in Japan



Uganda Olympic Committee President Donald Rukare said the unnamed trainer had no symptoms. It is not yet clear whether the trainer, who is in a government facility, will be banned from participating or sent home.

The entire Ugandan Olympic delegation, which includes 26 athletes and 30 staff, has been fully vaccinated with two syringes of AstraZeneca, Rukare said.

Many received their second dose of the vaccine this month, about three months after receiving their first dose, Rukare said.

The eight others who arrived with the Covid-positive trainer have traveled to Izumisano City in Osaka Prefecture, where they will be housed, according to Izumisano City official Hideo Takagaki. Rukare said the octet is in a bubble and is being tested daily.

Japan's leading Covid-19 advisor says holding the Olympics without spectators is "he wishes"

More athletes and employees of the Ugandan Olympic team are expected to arrive in Japan in the coming days.

Ugandans are among the first to arrive in Japan ahead of the Tokyo Olympics amid security concerns as the country battles a fourth wave of Covid-19. The Asian host nation has fully vaccinated less than 7% of its population, and doctors are warning that an Olympic super-spreader event could bring Japan’s overburdened medical system to the brink. At least 10,000 of the 80,000 people who have signed up for help with the Games have already stopped, and Japan’s top coronavirus advisor said Friday that hosting the Olympics with no spectators would be “desirable”. Uganda’s Olympic athletes are some of the first people in the African nation to receive the vaccine – Uganda has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the world, with only 2 doses per 100 people. The country of 45 million people is currently battling a second wave with reported cases up 130% in the first two weeks of June. Uganda also has a relatively high test positive rate, with 19% of tests being positive according to Johns Hopkins University, suggesting that authorities are not covering all Covid-19 cases. This week has the Uganda Rugby Union tweeted that the Sevens national team withdrew from an Olympic qualifier in Monaco after reporting Covid-19 cases within the team.

Source * – * Source link

Continue Reading

Trending News